Truncated Menus

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

GrowMate

Truncated Menus

Post by GrowMate » Sun May 05, 2024 8:04 pm

I have a Huawei Matebook Pro 2020; Windows 11; QCAD Professional 3.29.6.0

The Huawei has a screen resolution of 3000 x 2000, 250 PPI

All is well, except that some menues in the Property Editor get quite severely truncated, making it difficult to identify line-types etc (see attached screenshot). Is there an "in-program" solution to this? I would rather not have to set the screen resolution to a lower setting if that can be avoided!
Attachments
QCAD.pdf
(39.79 KiB) Downloaded 22 times

RMK-Designs

Re: Truncated Menus

Post by RMK-Designs » Mon May 06, 2024 1:12 am

You can drag the property editor sidebar wider by grabbing the edge where the drawing window and property editor side bar meet towards the middle of the screen. It will allow all text to be seen but you will lose a little drawing space. I had this issue with the layers. Some of my layers have the same beginning name with differences at the end and I could not tell them apart.

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Mon May 06, 2024 5:06 am

GrowMate wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 8:04 pm
Is there an "in-program" solution to this? I would rather not have to set the screen resolution to a lower setting if that can be avoided!
A lower screen resolution would have an adverse effect. :wink:

It is all a bit relative ...
For example, your resolution is superior to mine: 2000x3000 260ppi versus Full HD 1920x1080 92ppi.
But your screen is much smaller: 13.9 inch across vs 24 inch.

In the pdf I measured up your text height being 16px and your Widgets toolbar iconsize to be 48px.
In my case that is 8px and 24 px.
Yours is thus twice as detailed but also smaller in size: 16/260=0.0615 versus 8/92=0.087 inch.
A screen caption in a bitmap file may be a better representation.

If your eyes permit it then perhaps you can teak it somewhat, see:
https://www.qcad.org/rsforum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=10009
Or High DPI scaling is an option ...
The scale factor seems to be geared to enlarging, perhaps factors below 1 except 0.5 are feasible ... :?
Or maybe 'Auto' is already factor 2 and a factor between 1 and 2 is an option ...

Regards,
CVH

GrowMate

Post by GrowMate » Mon May 06, 2024 12:46 pm

Thanks for those two comments. Problem solved!
I was not formerly able to widen the Property Editor by dragging its left margin to the left.
However I now find that if I detach it completely it jumps out to the full width of the screen, after which I can drag it back to its normal location and adjust the width as required.
This is obviously not the ideal laptop to be doing cad on, but it's nice to have found a workround, so thanks again for your responses.

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Mon May 06, 2024 2:37 pm

GrowMate wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 12:46 pm
I was not formerly able to widen the Property Editor by dragging its left margin to the left.
When stacked the widen control would pop up a bit more to the left.
You are actually modifying the invisible border of the Widget that holds the stacked Widgets. :wink:

Regards,
CVH

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”